Sunday 21 July 2013

Heartwood

*CracK*

*TSCHEEW TSCHEEW TSCHEEW TSCHEEW TSCHEEW*

“Great going dumbass.” I mutter to myself as the bark splinters away from under my feet and a flurry of green streaks out of the tree above me. 

I had been hoping to avoid using the rusty, decrepit looking fence as a foothold but it looks like my tattered boots just won’t hold the bark.  I put my foot on the fence and it buckles unconvincingly, the only thing holding it upright against my weight is a section where the tree has grown around it, incorporating the iron into its trunk. It holds. From the few feet I can easily reach the first branch and scrabble upright. The tree is full of ants, but thankfully is one of the few trees in the forest that is not a tangled column of organic barbed wire. I keep close to the trunk and haul myself the final few feet, standing in the largest notch between branches.

There is nervous chatter in the canopy around me, a good sign, Loras whispering to one and other in their hushed tones somewhere between a waterfall and a purr. 

There are many gashes in this tree, where it has shed branches too costly to maintain in the scorching heat and unrelenting wind. One of which, now at head height, is emitting a musty, almost ocean-like smell.  I pull myself to the edge of it and peer in.



Six beady eyes stare back.
“Wow” I whisper, my voice filling the cavity as if omnipotent. Neither party breaks eye contact until I am forced to retreat to fumble with my camera. Upon looking back into the cavity the three forms are theatrically sprawled across the floor of their home. I pause a moment, then remember that playing dead is a well documented behaviour of young parrots and giggle at them, making them blink.
But I am here for more serious reasons than a game of sleeping lions.
Strapped to my waist, where a safety harness would normally be, is a camera trap.  The tree stands on what was once public land, and is easily accessible, a prime target for poaching.  I am tasked with setting a camera trap that will catch any poacher visiting the nest.
 It’s a f*cking exasperating task. Trying to hide a camera trap from an animal is one thing, but a human intent on not being caught is another. It must be out of sight and have a clear line of fire at the nest. The task took me three days to accomplish, and even now I am annoyed with the compromises that had to be made. More than 30 tree climbs to place, test, review footage and replace were all met with inexplicable failure, despite the nest being well in the range of the camera it could not detect my movements. The difficulty of such an apparently easy task is immensely frustrating, especially with temperatures reaching 32°C in the shade by 10am, and the cameras lives were threatened more than once. But perseverance, by its very meaning takes time to develop.
For me the realisation that my actions may be the difference between freedom and slavery for these birds was my motivation.
 Parrots take easily to the domestic environment. They are loyal, compassionate, mischievous and playful characters, the proportion of each ingredient varying between species. But they are proud. If taken from the wild, at any point in their life, they cannot forget it. No matter how loyal a pet a bird may be it will always find greater solace in the company of its own kind. If taken from their world into ours there will forever be a sadness you can perceive in their demeanour when they stare back onto theirs through windows or worse, bars.  In Bonaire to be taken is not into a life of luxury parrot lovers (should) lavish on their birds elsewhere. The bird will, almost certainly, not live out its life with free reign of a house or aviary, constant stimulation and a safe cage to retreat to at night or when scared. Instead it will always view the world through bars, often of cages no bigger than those used for ornamental finches.
To think of these six beady eyes viewing the world through steal glasses saddens me and hardens my resolve. I have visited houses here with captive parrots in such tiny cages. Played with the birds and watched their eyes light up and their wings tremble with excitement as a wild past companion screeches overhead, whimsically borne on the trade winds without so much as a down stroke from the wings. To think that the six tiny, emerald wings in the dark hollow beneath my feet would never stroke the deep azure above is unbearable.

Before climbing down to continue my battle with the camera I take one last glimpse into the hollow. A ray of light from the, by now, midday sun strikes deep into the black and in its glare two insignificant wings of emerald are spot lit and, feeling the warmth of the sky, start to beat, against all the odds.
The World Parrot Trust and Echo are committed to keeping wild parrots wild, regardless of their IUCN status. It is a cause I feel passionately about, as you may be able to tell, and so I am going to indulge in some shameless plugging.
The World Parrot Trust extends their support and expertise globally under the banner of the Fly Free programme, a campaign I cannot condone highly enough.


Echo has just launched a local anti-poaching campaign to extend nest monitoring efforts to help Yellow-shouldered amazons across the Caribbean and to buy far less infuriating camera traps to better protect Bonairean birds like the heroes of the story above.


As a little uplift at the end I wish to also share this:



This was also a feature in last week’s blog post. This is the crested caracara fledgling. He still has not yet acquired the same fear of man that I have and alighted just 2 metres away one day this week as I was looking for parrot nest cavities in cliffs.  After a moment of shared bewilderment as we glared uncertainly at each other through a gap in jagged of coral rock between us, he tolerated me standing up and was quite content to watch me watch him.

No comments:

Post a Comment